B1G Opinions, B1G Blog

By Tanner

With Nebraska’s first official game as a member of the Big Ten conference out of the way, it’s on to week two. Nebraska took on the Fresno State Bulldogs at Memorial Stadium on 6 PM Saturday evening. The Bulldogs looked shaky in the first half against their WAC opponent. Devon Wylie scored a 67 yard punt return to give the Bulldogs a 7 -0 lead.

However. Taylor Martinez kept the Cornhuskers in the game, answering with a one yard touchdown run to knot the score at 7 – 7. The Bulldogs answered right back with a score of their own to take the lead 14 – 7. Down 20 -24, Martinez threw a 16 yard touchdown pass to give Nebraska the lead, and they never looked back. Martinez added a run with Nebraska leading 35 – 29 to give the Huskers the win 42 – 29.

Michigan and Notre Dame squared off in the first night game ever in Michigan Stadium, and it sure did live up to the hype surrounding the game. The Irish, led by 17, 24-7, at the start of the fourth quarter. On a 3rd and goal on the first play of the quarter, quarter back Denard Robinson handed the ball to fullback Stephen Hopkins. He fumbled the ball, but Robinson picked it and ran into the end zone for the touchdown and cut the deficit ten points.

After a three and out, Robinson threw a jump ball to 5’10 Jeremy Gallon. He came down with it, and the ensuing extra point made the game a three point game. After another three and out, Michigan got the ball around mid field and in four plays, it was Michigan’s lead. Robinson threw a scren pass to running back Vincent Smith, and he cut through the defense for the 21 yard score.

However, Notre Dame came back, taking the lead on a touchdown pass form quarter back Tommy Rees to receiver Theo Riddick with thirty seconds left. Game over, right? Wrong. Denard Robinson had one last drive in him. On a second down, he found a wide open Gallon for a 64 yard pass to the twelve yard line. Then, craziness happened. Robinson lofted a pass to Roy Roundtree, who came down with it with two seconds left. Michigan led 35 – 31, and after Notre Dame bobbled the kick off and Michigan had the win.